23.9.08

The Milkshake, the Cop and the Speeding Ticket

So, I got another speeding ticket! If you remember last time, I was stopped for driving at 138km and was fined €65. Now because I learnt my lesson the first time round, I stay under 120km per hour most of the time. However, this time, I didn’t notice my car go over 120km because I was listening to Kelis on the radio who was telling me how her milkshake brings all the boys to the yard and that it’s better than yours (damn right, it’s better than yours - she could teach you but she’ll have to charge). When all of a sudden a cop waved me over. I honestly thought it was for someone else so I kept going until he was practically beside himself screaming and waving and wanting to shoot me. That’s when I pulled over. I was going to tell him that Kelis made me do it (and that her milkshake was better than his) but he seemed more like a frappe-drinker than milkshake.

Because I knew I was going to get booked I didn’t reverse (on the highway!!!!!) towards him. Instead I let him walk about 70 metres to my car (hehe) where he showed me with his little speeding gun that I was speeding 124km. My reaction was ‘what? I didn’t even realise’. He wouldn’t let me off. I had to pay €40.01 within two weeks. I didn’t get points (no shit! What was he going to give me 0.5 of a point for going a mere 4 over the maximum limit?) so I had to pay the fine which would go towards his Christmas bonus. And I told him that. He insisted that it was for the public funds, but I really knew he wanted to buy some doughnuts.

As I was on the Limassol-Paphos road going to LMS I stopped at the police station in tourist area to pay the fine. I swear to you, it seems like I’m in there paying fines all the time, I might as well have a tab and at the end of the month, go there and pay for it all. The cop would say ‘Your fines for September? That’ll be €157.42 BabyBusinessMan’. ‘I’ll be like ‘It’s Mr. BabyBusinessMan to you, and do you access American Express Gold Card you fat-useless-doughnut-eater?’

So when I went to pay I was like ‘my fine is €41.01 – can I have a discount of one cent?’ the policewoman looked at me as if I should be arrested for insanity as well. (Seriously!) It turns out she didn’t have change and asked me to come back again. I was like ‘look lady, I got fined, I came all the way here to pay, I live in Nicosia (I don’t know why I said that; it’s not like I live in Dubai) and now you want me to come back again? Just give me the €10 change and don’t worry about the extra 50 cents to balance your till’. She gave me the cash. It was my small (but totally legal) way of getting back at the system.

But having said this; the first time I was stopped was fair as I was way over the limit’s limit. This time though, I really didn’t notice. When you drive an automatic, you might occasionally go over, especially when you’re listening to Kelis. So I think it was unfair not to let me off. And it’s obvious he wanted the cash. Maybe they have a quota to reach.

So here is my theory. There are two types of people in this world; people who get parking tickets and people who get speeding tickets. People who get parking tickets are stupid because they are parking the car in a specific place. Can’t they do it properly? It’s easy, you find a space without a yellow line or on a corner and park the tin-can! People who get speeding tickets however, are busy (hello! BabyBusinessMan here! Very bizzzzeeeeeeeee) and are in a rush and occasionally they might go over the limit by a tad. Do you think it’s fair to fine them? I mean, I’m not making money for me; I’m doing it for the economy and to buy cool clothes to look good for my fellow Cypriots. And I get fined? I guess that’s the justice system for you – no concept in Fashion or fairness!

Not many people agree with me on this though. I guess they are in the parking-ticket group and are just not that busy. Like the cop who fined me to go buy some doughnuts

No comments: