15.10.08

French Tourists


If you remember a few months ago – I wrote a piece on British vs. German tourists in Cyprus who battle it out for sun beds. Well… now it’s about the French. Apparently in a recent poll the French are the second worst tourists, after the English – not because they trash the country they stay in and wreck havoc but because they complain the most, are the stingiest (followed by Germans and Brits) and come second concerning a ‘lack of respect’ (after Americans).

I’m guessing only the English came up with this poll because they are the only ones who dislike the French the most. And maybe the Republicans in America. But I disagree with the poll’s findings completely. I find that the French along with the Americans show the most respect. Despite what people think, I think Americans are much more in tune with countries’ sensitivities than most other Euro nations. In my personal poll, conducted by me for me, after extensive research, my own personal and ultra-precise findings showed that Europeans live in a dreamland, have few sensitivities about other countries (despite being fellow EU members), are condescending and colonial – even the small ex-republics of some sort have a superiority complex. I actually find Americans, Arabs and Asians much more respectful and pleasant than Europeans.

Furthermore the poll stated that the French do not learn the language of the country they are in and expect others to do so. Firstly the French aren’t the only ones who expect people to speak to them in their language when they are abroad. And secondly, I will excuse this behaviour only with the French; that’s because this beautiful language has lost its standing on the world stage and is no longer the lingua franca – having been superseded by Anglais. Personally if someone comes and talks to me in French I consider it a chance to practice. If someone speaks to me in another language, say Czech, Quechua or Korean, I’ll try and be helpful rather than demand they speak Greek. What do you expect them to do? Learn the Greek past perfect tense? Oh please! (Oh la la - s’il vous plait)… or should I say; ooof, sas parakalo?

The poll stated that the French are the hardest to please. That is true. Have you gone on a date with a French person? No matter how well I know my verbs, or French art (do not make the mistake of thinking Van Gogh is French – he is Dutch) or offer the most expensive red wine; the French will skew you on a date. Believe me… I’ve been there… mais j’aime les francaises et le French fries!

But the poll did get something right; that the French are the best dressed… but only after the Italians. That, even I cannot argue against. Although I still love the French! I wonder who the best undress’d are… maybe the BabyFrenchBusinessWomen… unfortunately though my research didn’t tell me about that! The date didn’t end well!

PS: I know the Eiffel Tower has nothing to do with French tourists but I love the French! I just can't help it1

No comments: