16.10.08

Did you write? What? Write? Write What?

Okay you have to forgive me on this but…
I was sitting an exam for a management course I am doing and a colleague asked me the other day: ‘έγραψες;’ (egrapses?). Now I don’t get this phrase, because egrapses in English means, ‘did you write?’ but in Greek it means ‘did you write WELL?’ Of course my brain which works in English thinks ‘did you write?’ I mean of course I wrote in the exam – I could have written a whole load of crap… but I still wrote something. Wouldn’t it be more appropriate in Greek to say ‘egrapses kala?’ OR ‘egrapses kati?’ So when he asked me egrapses I was like ‘nai fisika egrapasa kati – ti nomizeis? Pws zografisa?’ which translates to ‘duh! Of course I wrote something – what did you think? That I drew the question out?’ Can you imagine this for an exam question: Please explain in detail WITH DRAWINGS the main theories used in General Management Concepts by FilthyRich. Crayola pencils are allowed. Please colour within the lines. You have two hours. Turn over your sheets of paper… NOW!

No comments: