19.11.08

Fascist Furniture



As you probably know by now, I have moved into a new house. Being in a new house means I need furniture. I own nothing more than a bed and a table and have almost forgotten what a sofa feels and looks like. But recently I have come across more and more kitsch Stalin and Mao memorabilia. People are actually painting dictators who killed millions of people on their walls. What is this? Torture deco? All of a sudden evil dictators are all the rage. So much so that people are painting them on their walls. I have never come across a painting of Hitler on a wall… until I moved to Nicosia. I was in a ‘rock club’ with Cake and Pancake when I noticed behind me a big black and white image of Hitler. To say I was offended didn’t even cover it. In the UK, or anywhere else in the world this would have cause an outcry. In Cyprus, I blame the government. How about banning the swastika? I refuse to shop in any places where they sell any Nazi kitsch.

But now it has entered people’s living room; ok; not Hitler unless it’s a white extremist (in this case they entered their heart let so their living room is nothing now). But images of Mao and Stalin? Mao who starved 30 million of his people in his Great Leap Forward? Stalin who sent people to their deaths because of his paranoia that people will try to destroy the state? Stalin got away with it and are not as hated as the USSR was an ally in WWII. And now he can be proud that his face is on cushions and bedspreads. But not on doormats yet.
You know what’s on my wall? Pictures and memories of Israel.
Nazi crap just doesn't make the cut.

No comments: