20.11.08

Art at the UN


The roof of the UN HQ in Geneva is covered in a phenomenal art piece - see picture aboev. It does look good but it cost 18 million euros. A regualr roof would have cost about... what? Around a million? Now I know every international organisation's HQ building needs a roof - and sure, some could have art work, as above... but I kind of feel that that money could have been used for another cause like building a school in Africa, or perhaps to save a town somewhere. Perhaps the artists could have painted the the painting on the house (pun intended). I don't know - but with the violence in the DR Congo, Zimbabwe, Kosovo, Darfur, Tibet, the West Bank and everywhere else... that money seems a little excessive. Or maybe it's just my opinion and 18 million euros is nothing to the UN as they donate much more to charity and do so much more... you decide... I really can't say... my opinion on this is sketchy at best.

No comments: