20.5.09

Lipstick / White Wine / Red Wine / What?

I went to an exhibition the other night and as I hadn’t found my friend I went to the bar for a glass of wine, as it’s not nice to wander around empty-handed. A drink in hand always makes it easier to mingle (hold it with your left hand. Your right hand you use for shaking hands of people you meet and no one wants to shake a cold or clammy hand).

I went up to the bar to order and noticed that there was only one white wine. With lipstick marks on it.

‘Can I have a glass of white wine please?’ (red wine stains your teeth but is good for your heart).

‘Take this’ said the guys serving me, who was from the ex-eastern bloc.

‘Look’ I said holding up the glass and pointing the lipstick marks. He examined it for what seemed like a year.

‘Okay then’ he said. He took the glass of wine, got a new glass and poured the same wine into another glass. He was giving me someone else’s wine in a new glass. And this is at an exclusive exhibition in our nations’ capital. I started laughing.

‘Is all I have’ he said handing me the glass.

In the end I settled red wine. Stains your teeth but good for your heart. The only other alternative was wine drank by a woman with red lipstick. But there was so much red lipstick I came to assume it was a d. queen, who usually slather large amounts of make up on them. Hmmmm… must be an interesting exhibition I though, as I walked in. Red wine in hand.

No comments: