24.5.09

Commericial Cannes


Is it me of has Cannes become American? I thought the whole point of the Cannes Film Festival was to promote un-commercial and artistic films. What many call ‘European cinema’ which has always been a little nutty and odd. Yet – from I’ve been reading – Cannes seems more Hollywood than Hollywood! Tarantino, Brangelina and Pixar’s movie Up? This is the selection at Cannes? What is this? The the McFilm Festival? Even Sundance and Tribeca Film Festivals are more un-commercial than Cannes. Is Cannes is the victim of its own success?

Seeing this make me take my hat of the Cyprus Film Days – the film festival in Nicosia earlier this year. If you want a film festival with a meaning you should have been there. But I guess you can always follow the circus act at Cannes!

No comments: