10.5.09

Are all Stylists Dumb?


My stylist is one of the most intelligent people you’ll meet. After a successful career in finance she decided to pack it all up and move to Cyprus where she opened up a salon in Limassol. As I’m from Limassol and was a client of hers from before, I go there when I can because I would rather give my custom to someone who not only is a professional, but someone who has become a friend. The past couple of months she was away so I had to find a new ‘stylist’ in Nicosia.

If she can be called ‘stylist’ at all. Her salon that she runs with her friend is in the walled city of Nicosia. When I first met her, she was late because she was in the hairdresser’s next door. She was dyeing her hair peroxide yellow and simultaneous her style was dying alongside it. I After the styling session she charged me €35. Fair enough I thought; although I was happier with my LMS stylist. I visited her the other day for a re-styling, where for the same service (good at her trade but not at business) she charged me €45 instead of €35.

Whenever it’s pay-time I always ask ‘how much do I owe you?’ not because I don’t know the price (I always know the price) but out of courtesy. It’s like saying ‘how are you’ when you don’t really want to know. Well with ‘how much do I owe you’ I know the price – I just expect you to confirm it. 99% of people are honest and tell you how much you owe. 1% of the people don’t. Peroxide-Girl was this 1%.

‘Let me just get out my calculator’ she said much to my surprise instead of saying ‘€35 please!’ So she started fiddling away on it before announcing in a proud manner ‘€45.’

WTF? I look good but I don’t look like an idiot! ‘Why so much?’ I asked.

‘Well legs cost €17’ (last time they were €14), ‘chest I’m going to charge you €5’ (you can count the hairs on my chest) ‘and arms… 6 each (last time they were €5). If you can count this comes to €34 not €45. Even with a calculator she couldn’t work it out. Did the peroxide bleach enter her brain?

‘I mean… for arms its erm… 6 POUNDS.’

‘But last time they were 5 EUROS each’ and last time I check we were in the Eurozone!

‘They were? Oh. And I confuse euros and pounds. Oh dear.’

WHO CONFUSES EUROS AND POUNDS AFTER HAVING THE EURO FOR OVER A YEAR? Even my grandmother can work it out. Without a calculator. And without getting it wrong.

‘So it’s €35 then’ I said trying not to show my rage.

‘Yes, yes, oh I’m so sorry’ she said as I was putting away the €20 back in my wallet and replacing it with €10. Much to her dismay. Much to my vengeful joy! ‘Well I’m glad you mentioned something’ she continued ‘I mean I wouldn’t want you leaving and being upset now would I, hmmmmmm?’

Yeah right.

‘Okay, I’ll make an appointment soon’ I said to her – but actually feeling the opposite.

‘Yes. And book an appointment with my for a facial. You seem to need it desperately. Only €50!’


Moral of the story: she tried to find more money but lost a customer. A good one. Greed is not good

1 comment:

Milky spirit said...

Oh dear! i have in mind a million jokes right now but as a true left wing will not engage in racial comments microinsults as they are called in a course. Eitherway what is worrying is not her attitude but what if you were in a hurry or just too shy to ask for details on the charge fees? what if u haven't been to her before and you couldnt spot the difference in price?
WTF? i used to laugh at the ridiculous prices in Cardiff in the salons of 3rd quality by the way by cyprus standards and now hehe we have been europeanized!