25.5.08

Moving to Nicosia


As a Lemesian (Greeklish for someone from Limassol), we are trained from a young age to hate our nation's capital, Nicosia. For our coastal-city, and as most people would agree, is the most developed and pleasant on the island, with beaches, bars and sun, and is a far-cry from the car-congested, bureaucratic, stressful capital city.

But I always liked Nicosia, the way you like spending time with a friend who would get along with, but without spending too much time. Nicosia, represented, a world-divided, between the affluent Greek part and the occupied Turkish area, where all the executives and politicians ruled over the land and style for Cyprus was set in the fashion-house of Nic. It was a city, with tall trees, long avenues, the presidential palace, and chic-high-class people. And the shopping wasn't bad either. And so, since I was a kid, a day trip with my friends to Nicosia was always a fun time.

That is why, when I was offered a job at a law firm there, I didn't think moving there would be a problem, as I always liked the city. And now, a few months since I moved, I am still enjoying it (and also enjoying leaving).

This blog, charts my newly adopted home-town, desribes what's on and off, in and out, in Nicosia, what's on offer, who's on offer and different perspectives on Nicosia, Limassol, and Cyprus. It introduces you to different types of Nicosians, such as Cake (a neurotic bohemian), the Nicosia Housewife (the name says it all), the endless fight between good and evil (known as the left and right wing - you decide who is good/evil) and the age old rivalry Limassol vs.Nicosia... who wins... you decide! With me, as your host...

Enjoy...

No comments: