16.4.09

More than friends, less than partners


I met C a few years ago when I was on holiday in Limassol. Often we would hook up when I was back in CY. She was more than a friend but less than a girlfriend. And we were okay like that. I lost contact with her but didn’t meet up with her until I moved to Nicosia; where we slipped back into our old ways. We’d go out clubbing or for a few drinks and then hook up. No fuss, no muss. When she was in a relationship and I saw her out and about I said hi and let her initiate any first moves. Once at a club she was talking to her boyf, from Romania. In situations like that, we just talked and I generally ignored her then-boyf (for a number of reasons). When he was deported or something like that, she asked me to begin a relationship, which I declined saying we were better off as friends, which is not untrue, but also, because I just got out of a relationship which imploded and I didn’t want to ruin our friendship.

So it was to my surprise that she text me today with a message that real like this: Dear BBM – hi. How are you? Just to let you know, my ex-boyf is back in CY and looking for work and now we got together. Have a good Easter!

What’s the first problem with this text? Well… I’m a Jew, Shalom! It’s Passover! But in her defence I think I forgot to mention that. But other than that? Initially I was taken aback as I hadn’t spoken to her for over 6 weeks now so the text seemed rather out of context. Then it hit me, like a giant Easter egg on the head! She didn’t want me to contact her again. In a way I was upset as we always got on. But then again, when one door shuts in your face another window opens (for you to throw yourself out of?). To be fair, they made a good couple; she was sweet, wore glasses and was nerdy in a cute way. And so is he if I remember correctly when I saw him a couple of times – but don’t quote me on the cute.

However (and there’s always a however) she used to bitch to me that he used to date her for money and maybe, a place to stay. So what she is doing with him now? And then I wonder, is she dating him because she has nothing else to do (other than spend her money on him?). Also, I have to ask: is she texting me to make me jealous? I think I am slightly – but when I think about it – it’s not the relationship I miss. It’s the other benefits.

No comments: