5.3.09

UCY

The other day I went to the University of Cyprus to use the library. Although I live in the area I had never been to the campus before and when I did I fell in love with it. Maybe it was because it took me back to my crazy student days, as I was filled with nostalgia for those times. Maybe its because some of those students embodied the funky spirit that I love, but mainly it was the campus. I was at the old campus of course, having not yet visited the new modern one. It was so cool, it even smelt like study! There were flyers everyone, people coming and going, groups of people talking (and smoking) and I saw something new on a campus; cats. There must have been over half a dozen cats there.

The clock tower though must be its best feature especially at night when its all lit up. Using the library I forgot how you can be fun and studious at the same time. I literally fell in love with uni again!

Let me ask you this. Are there differences between the different types of Unis in CY? For example in the UK some unis are middle class and other are more elitist, others encompass all social classes and other are Oxbridge-wannabes. Im asking this because at the UCY the students there seemed very serious with study; they seemed very involved with student life and maybe can appear a little conservative? Is this true or a wrong observation? Because at another couple of unis I visited the students seemed a little more laid back and incredibly funky, with crazy hair styles and flyers on the wall that seem a little more avant-garde than one would expect in Cyprus.

Nevertheless, while there I felt like the new man on campus. It took me back to my crazy days (like almost 2 years ago) and I felt with a sweet/sad feeling, It comes to show, make the most of uni because you can never go back, and even if you do, you will never ever recapture that glow of being a freshman at uni. Time and experience catch up with you and before you know it, youll have to grow up.

No comments: