2.7.09

Screaming Baby // Shhh... I'm eating Sushi!


So what do you do when a baby is bawling in a restaurant? I was a enjoying a delightful sushi meal with the Nicosia Housewife the other day when this baby started screaming its head off. The parents did nothing. There wasn’t even a Yiayia around to deal with it (because we all know many ‘modern’ Cypriot parents don’t blink an eyelid). Everyone was put off by this baby’s screaming. Even my sushi turned sour. The restaurant did nothing. If I had ordered spaghetti I would have flicked it at them from across the restaurant, but it was sushi and throwing sushi at irresponsible parents is akin to sacrilege – you never throw sushi away!

But what surprised me was that the management did nothing. Nothing? Yes. Nothing. When I worked in a bar in Manchester, we got three women, come in one Sunday afternoon, drunk/stoned/high/ or all three. They did not stop laughing and cracking jokes and literally howling in their seats. I thought they were hilarious. Everyone else hated them. My boss got so upset with them that he told them to be quite. They were for a bit and then they left. Maybe to get another hit.

Why do not that with the family and their screaming-baby? Because they are worried that they’ll leave? What about the rest of the customers then?

No comments: