4.7.09

Protaras Baby!




So I went to Protaras for the second time in my life last weekend. I loved Protaras. I think it’s great. Like a mini Limassol just for fun, or perhaps it’s more like Nicosia-by-the-sea and classier English tourists (the trashy kind go to Napa). Anyway, Protaras is fun, even the pavements are fun!

But because it’s fun it’s also busy. So busy in fact that you need to get up at the a$$-crack of dawn just to get a bed by the beach. By 9am, if you’re not on the beach and have no bed, you might as well go home and organize your cupboards.

Well, we went out on Saturday and didn’t get back to the hotel until 7am. Everyone wanted to sleep and then go to the beach. I warned them that they would not get up if they slept in the bed and it was better to sleep on the beach like all normal party-people but no one heeded my warnings (and believe me, I know about these things, I used to be an international party boy). But the were asleep without even having finished my sentence.

At 12pm we head to the beach and stand there staring with our mouths gapping, except me who was trying not to smirk. The only people who can navigate Protaras (even better than people from Protaras) are Nicosians. In fact, I think Nicosia should become another municipality of Nicosia, it’s the Capital-by-the-Coast. I was with Lemesians, and I swear to you, Limassol people are only good for communing in Limassol. I hate it when my Limassol friends get lost in Nicosia; they have more chances of finding their destination in the Labyrinth of the Minotaur. So you can imagine dealing with Lemesians in Protaras who have no clue of where anything is (excluding the beach- and that’s only because they know what it looks like, having a beach in LMS) but think they do.

‘What? No bed?’ was the response. We scoured Fig Tree Bay (FTB) for beds but you couldn’t even find one. People actually went to the shops to buy umbrellas. Then we went to the one next to FTB, is it called Sunrise? Whatever it is called, there were no beds. Surprised? I wasn’t. The others were.

What do you frigging expect at 12pm on a Sunday in June? An empty beach? You personal water-boy? Endless expanse of sand? The sea was packed, and with so many people on the beach you could barely see the colour of the sand.

Chilling out is like everything in life. You have to be organized. If the others wanted a bed so badly, then get up and get one. Don’t go to sleep and expect to find one when you get up. You have to work for it. A bed isn’t going to magically appear. And if you arrive and there is no bed, don’t moan. You didn’t think, then you need to deal with it. I then suggested sitting by the pool but the others went for the golden beaches of Protaras. They certainly got it, all because they didn’t bother.

I had a great weekend, but by the end of it I was sick of the sea and wanted the pool (most Lemesians go to the pool; the only people in Cyprus who enjoy and appreciate the beach are Nicosians). Anyway, I left at 3pm just before traffic. When I got home, I experienced that warm feeling when you’re away for (what feels like ) a long time; when you’re back in your habitat, surrounded in your comfort zone, with your personal belongings and wrapped in silence. The blinds were drawn, the house was quiet and it was nice to sit there on the balcony with lemonade and fruit – doing nothing but enjoying the moment (and then reading a magazine; Nitro with Vissi on the cover). I had a good time in Protaras but I was so happy to be back in Nicosia. I missed my newly adopted city and I missed sitting in a real bed, minus sand – even if it is golden and soft.

No comments: