15.1.09




What travels the world and stays in one place?
A stamp.

Over the Christmas period I decided to spread the joy, not in the usual way of pouring vodka shots but rather with writing letters. Not emails, not texts, but actually sitting down at a table and writing a card. Okay, I vamped it up a bit, by taking a photo of my friend and I and writing a slogan or a quote we shared; that way I included a card, I brought back a happy memory and made it funny. I sent it to some close friends and others I lost touch with.

At times, I sent it to some friends who I thought would move, and so I am still waiting for a response. Other times I sent a letter out to a friend and have received it shortly after I sent it out. The response has been overwhelming. They loved it.

We hardly write letters anymore. Our culture now serves us instantly that we can email countless times a day and although letters and email are the same concept, receiving a card in the post is leagues ahead. It shows that the person knows you well, a he/she has your address, has gone to the time to make/buy the card and post it. But like a book, its the inside that counts. Letters are a lot more personal. You write what you truly feel because you know that it will travel the world and want to make those words worthy. A card reads more like true feelings than an email which includes phrases like hiya hows LA? Shopping much? Me, went to sfinakia on sat. Talk ltr. BBM xoxo Emails read more like a text than a letter, which is why letters, something tangible and real always put a smile on the receiver.

No comments: